en

7 years married | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Success stories
UltimaThule
UltimaThule Feb 16 '17
Hi all

About time for an update, I think. We are celebrating 7 years married this weekend. Time has gone by quickly, and it seems like yesterday we started talking on DnM. The DnM baby has turned 5 and is in school here in the UK at the moment. He is growing up quickly. The wife is at the final stretch on her Ph.D and we should be ready for a move back to Ecuador after/during the summer, as our 4 years in the UK is almost over. It's been a little adventure in the greater adventure of life, and for the majority of our married life, we both have managed to survive the support network the greater family could provide, but it has also given us a chance to set up our lives to suit us and making the ground rules for both us and the DnM baby, as well as a couple of trips to Norway and really introduce wife and kid to my family. 

Again, big thanks to Marisa, and everyone else that was around here so many years ago, and best of luck in your search for friendship, love and happiness.

The Forum post is edited by UltimaThule Feb 16 '17
UltimaThule
UltimaThule Feb 16 '17
And a picture, if technology is on my side...
Attachments:
  IMG-20161223-WA0018.jpg (149Kb)
Marisa Admin
Marisa Feb 16 '17
Technology is indeed on your side, what a nice picture, such a lovely family. Wow, he is a big boy now! Time sure goes fast. I am so glad to hear you are doing good and are happy. Good luck with your move to sunny Ecuador,  you probably miss the sun in the rainy UK. 

Thanks so much for an update and sharing the pic! 

spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Feb 16 '17
Hi UT, great to hear from you.  Seven years??? Where has the time gone, it seems only a short while since you joined DnM.  So glad that all is going well, love the pic.

Best of luck for your upcoming move and resettlement. 

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Feb 16 '17
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, UT. thanks much for popping in and letting us see your family. Is that a pet polar bear?  

if memory serves me well, In the 7 years you guys have been together you've already traveled an awful lot by many people's standards. I certainly hope you can keep it all going on the plus side and wind up with a very culture friendly family as the boy grows bigger. Just keep him away from the Swedish Bikini Team's sports as he gets up in years
UltimaThule
UltimaThule Feb 24 '17
Thank you all 

No, it's not a pet polar bear. Our black toy poodle will have to do. He stayed in EC, so look forward to having the little, big brother in our lives again.

And hopefully it won't get too sunny in the mountains of EC, as lobster red is not my best colour But it definitely beats UK weather.

And no Swedish Bikini Teams in South America, as I know of, so should be safe 

UltimaThule
UltimaThule Apr 10 '18

We've added another year since last update, and have found our way back to EC. The DnM baby has gotten quite fluent in Spanish now, and the wife is  and will be travelling all over the world for workshops and conferences. I got a home office and I am still working in Europe, albeit with time difference, it does give me afternoon off here to spend with the (not so) little one after school.

Internet dating is getting more and more normal, true, but as with everything in life you need a bit of luck. 

The Forum post is edited by UltimaThule Apr 13 '18
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Apr 11 '18
Thanks for the update UT, great to hear from you and that things are going well. 
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 11 '18
yes UT, thanks for keeping in touch. And congrats on another year as well.  Are you going to share another family picture with us (HINT, HINT)? 
UltimaThule
UltimaThule Aug 3 '20
Wow. Time flies, 2 years since last update, sorry. But still going strong down in Ecuador.

Celebrated 10 years married in February, and managed to get a long weekend in Colombia, just before we got confined to our own home since mid march. The baby (will soon turn 9!!!) had to complete school year online, and seems will start online after the "summer holiday" too. Wife is working from home now, while for me, working from home is what I've done the past 3 years anyway. (Missed the yearly May trip to Europe though, and who knows if it will be possible to go in November)

Hope all is well with the "old guard" and wish all "newbies" best of luck. And again thanks for this site, that have brought our little family a fantastic adventure and wonderful years together.

spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Aug 3 '20
OMG, 10 years, where has the time gone? 

Seems just yesteryear our DnM bub was born. 

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Aug 3 '20

Time flies when your having fun, doesn't it UT?

thanks for keeping us updated, and super good luck on getting around the world again after this plague has devastated many regions of the world

I've been out of work since January, it was really by choice until March rolled around and a basic lock down happened. The Mayor of the local big city seems to think he isn't going to open up work again for my trade until summer 2021. 

UltimaThule
UltimaThule Aug 8 '23
Time goes by quickly. 14 years since meeting on here, and 13 years married. The DnM baby is almost 12 (not really a baby anymore) and we are back in the UK, as the wife got a 3 year fellowship at a university here starting last year. I got back to "regular" hours working from home too. 

The UK has changed a lot since last time we lived here. The process to get visa is horrible, but the situation in Ecuador is not the best at the moment either. So all in all the move came at a good time. Got about 2 more years to figure out what happens next. 

Hope all is well with the "old-timers" here. Did you get a new job Billy?

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Aug 9 '23

thanks for checking in with us, UT. Isn't it amazing how fast time goes by? I was talking with a friend a few day ago who showed me pics of his daughter who is now 20... Last time I saw her she was barely walking and it doesn't seem that long ago.

I find it interesting that you plainly state how the UK has changed, but I will withhold comparisons to the USA and other comments just because this isn't the "serious discussions" forum.

the mayor of LA finally removed the "STATE OF EMERGENCY" for COVID recently (its been years now) only to find that all of the shows that used to come to the city have gone elsewhere because they were not willing to be regulated into the red for their participants. So the answer is still no, there is no work here locally for me right now. Maybe that will change soon.

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo