en

when a 2nd chance is given.... don't continue scamming | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Scam
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Dec 15 '15
From the UK, an article I found here : https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/lowestoft_conman_jailed_for_13_000_online_fraud_1_4348484

Joshua Jones, 20, was given two years detention in a young offenders’ institution suspended for 18 months in September last year for offering tickets and electrical items for sale on Facebook that he never owned, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

On that occasion Jones had been responsible for 113 transactions involving £13,000 where he advertised items for sale that did not exist, including concert tickets, mobile phones.

Weeks later in December last year he began a similar fraud on Facebook, involving £13,000, in which he sold non-existent items to unsuspecting buyers using false names or adopting other people’s identities, said Matthew Sorel-Cameron, prosecuting.

Jones had also tricked innocent people to act as agents selling non-existent goods for him on eBay by promising them commission and saying he had reached his limit for selling goods on eBay or PayPal.

He had also sold holiday accommodation to a family who having also bought flights from Jones arrived at their villa to discover it was already occupied.

Jones had then added to the family’s distress by using credit card details given to him to pay for the villa and flights to buy a Range Rover costing nearly £9,000.

Jones had also obtained false number plates for the vehicle.

Yesterday Jones, formerly of Arnold Street, Lowestoft pleaded guilty to four offences of fraud by false representation between December last year and May this year.

He also admitted having an article for use in fraud, driving without insurance, three offences of fraud by false representation and breach of a suspended sentence order.

Sentencing him to three years and ten months detention in a young offenders’ institution Judge Rupert Overbuy described a Jones as a conman and an “entrenched fraudster”.

Andrea Lock for Jones accepted her client had an unattractive record in terms of the effect his offences had on his victims.

“He is remorseful,” she said.

She said he had completed the unpaid work he was given as part of the suspended sentence order last year.

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Dec 15 '15
it doesn't sound like much of a sentence, does it Wind?  Then again, for a 20 year old man, it is almost 4 years from the prime of his life he won't be able to get back. What he does with the experience during and after his release is up to him. He can likely get a shorter sentence if he cooperates with police.....

I noted that the article failed to say if he had to repay any of the scammed monies he stole. Or if that may be a condition of release after he is released. I don't have a clue how the UK justice system works.
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Dec 16 '15
that is exactly the reason I said " What he does with the experience during and after his release is up to him.", Wind.

I know what can happen, but it doesn't have to happen that way. Its just that 90% of them here in this country find it to be more of a "University for criminal knowledge" ( I like your words), and only about 10% are taught a lesson.

In my estimation, we need to go back to what I think it was the Greek system of justice.... I may have the name / era wrong, but it was similar to "if you built a house for someone and it failed, then you had to build them 4 or 5 houses to make up for it"... I'll do some research on that and repost what I find.

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo