en

Profiles - True or False | Forum

spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Jul 22 '15
As was brought up by Wind in another thread, let's discuss the truth or lack of in profiles.

Some people seem to think it's ok to lop a few years off their age or to get creative with their lifestyle and living conditions.  They defend their actions with "but it's only a little lie".

In my opinion there is no such thing as a little lie.  Bending the truth to protect someone's feelings is one thing but that doesn't apply in profiles. Once a relationship gets more serious and you meet and talk it won't be long before your lie is found out.  If you have dropped 10 years off your age or posted an old photo it is instantly obvious.

Personally I would wonder what other lies have been told and would lose trust in that person, even if they say it was the only one.  Without trust you have no relationship.  Any lie on a profile is a waste of everyone's time and will probably end up with hurt feelings all around.

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Jul 23 '15
Gosh Wind, you sure did start some trouble, didn't you

All of us that posted seem to share the same feelings about truth or "little lies". I tend to find Crystal's explanation fits me best.
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Jul 23 '15
It's not only age that people lie about.  Sometimes it's education or where they live or their profession.

Really!  What's the point of stating you're a doctor if you're really a plumber?Ok, some professions may have some similarities, so what??All professions are needed in this world and if you're ashamed of what you do then change to something you're more comfortable with rather than lie about it.

If you're really intent on finding a romantic match your lie will catch up with you after you meet.  You cannot talk your way out of the lie, you'll only end up digging yourself a bigger hole.  Then your romantic aspirations are really 'flushed'.

spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Jul 23 '15
Who knows the minds of fools?

No, I don't think it's society related, it's individual.  The person is obviously not happy about some part of themselves and tries to 'cheat' their way out of it.  Those people always believe they will get away with it and, just like scammers, will blame you for revealing the truth.

jpinder1087
jpinder1087 Aug 19 '15
to me this is sort of funny and serious at the same time. first of all whoever lies about their age is the biggest idiot in the world. your not getting any younger. everybodys going to grow old one day in their life. every girl ive ever talked to and deleted i always tell her one thing.i hate liars cheaters scammers. you do any of the three we are done. i dont want to talk to you anymore. goodbye.
jpinder1087
jpinder1087 Aug 19 '15
the gray hairs are going to come out one day. i agree with @spectrumAU. people will lie about anything. the biggest lies ive heard about from people is profiles. you guys have probably seen it too .supposedly one girl will have two to three different profiles with the same picture. the girl will make up some excuse. "oh thats why i dont put my pics up". stop it ok. just stop. i dont want to hear any BS
AmeliaCastillo
AmeliaCastillo Sep 3 '15
Posting "photoshopped" pics is also a form of a lie. Showing "barbie" like photos different from the real life image. It's always better to see the other person on cam before arranging to see in person in order to validate the truth.
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Mar 17 '16
Yes, some of us are just lucky in the genetic stakes.  All my family has always looked younger than reality. 
Marisa Admin
Marisa Aug 9 '16
Sooooo many ridiculous profiles out there!!! As I go thru tons of them daily - approving/disapproving - I see so much negligence, stupidity, dishonesty, etc...

Just a minute ago, a guy registers, he is married, but seeking women from 19 to 86 for fun and romance. And puts in his description: "I am honest person". Yeah right, cheating on his wife online, very honest!!  I kicked him out of course. 

Nowadays I only approve about 30% of profiles. We have around 150 registrations daily (excluding scammers, those register on a different site), and out of 150 I only approve around 50. Trying to pick the best, though it's hard. You may think, if this is the best that I keep, than what's the worst?!!!! LOL 

Constantineb
Constantineb Aug 9 '16
Well ! I'm not a Mormon or a Muslim , but to say that some guys are cheating on their wives it's not totally right , because those mentioned in the above religions can have more than one wife and many of their's wives do aprove that and as I studied them at least the Mormon people live really prosperous lives and their wives take turns in taking care of the house and many of them have high deegres of education because they help each other with taking care of the children and choirs . Surprisingly the number of those choosing this life style it's growing exponentially. No doubt about it those that are not honest about their life styles and those looking to catch and use unaware women should be exposed for they're nothing but scammers .
shemp
shemp Oct 14 '16
I don't jump to conclusions however as long as it's not hurting anyone, so it can be a tough not too, however, understanding is important, also now a days posting on a profile is like getting it off your chest, so the person doesn't think about it later...
marinag Blocked
marinag Oct 17 '16
only truth and honestly to lead us to happiness
Lytharia
Lytharia Feb 11 '17
I agree wholeheartedly. What difference will it make once you meet the other person. Why waste your and their time? Life is too short and so am I LOL. I am not sure that people (those that are not scammers/villains) try to lie because they have a deficiency in their own view of themselves. I hold true to the statement that we can all be our worst critics. What they perceive someone else will think of them and their "deficiency" or "overabundance". It can be tough to be shorter, taller, thinner, heavier, etc. than the pictures that are presented to us every moment of everyday about what beauty and the perfect person are. At least here in the US ... I know that it has led to many horrible things. I dont believe in lies and would not, but have met many people who were left for younger, prettier or fill in the blank and it has put them in a very bad place. So, yes as adults we must take responsibility for our decision to lie about anything, but I can see the other side of that ... and "society" has pressured people to think that they can only be perfect if they are a certain size, shape, color, denomination, sexual orientation or age. We cannot be all things to all people.
jaanusr
jaanusr Feb 19 '17
In my country we have expression: there are small lies, big lies and statistics
jennifert
jennifert Apr 3 '17
There's a difference between a lie and full disclosure. There are things that are important to tell a potential partner that are not the worlds business, and require trust to tell. Would this be considered being deceitful or cautious? Where do you draw the line?
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 3 '17
I think this topic is only discussing what goes into your profile, therefore you are displaying that to the world for all intensive purposes.

I fully agree with you that much of our lives is our personal business, and does not need to be broadcast to the world. It is for each of us to decide where that line gets drawn.
jennifert
jennifert Apr 4 '17
I was actually having this same discussion with a group of disabled people the other day. It can be a sticky subject for some people.
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 5 '17
I'm sure it can be a sticky subject with any group of people. I'd be willing to bet if you got a group together for education and called the subject "How to start online dating" then aside from the beginners asking questions like this one would yield more silence than input from the crowd.

I only think the genuine beginners that have nearly zero experience would offer some input because they truly do not know the answers, therefore they seek something.  Of course, this is just MHO though.
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Apr 6 '17

lenovo this subject does not belong here.  The topic of this particular forum has to do with the honesty of profiles.  It is not about scams.  

There is a forum dedicated to scams where you can find all sorts of information regarding various types of scams.  Please post scam material there if it isn't there already.

Marisa Admin
Marisa Apr 6 '17
Also, please STOP posting content taken from the Internet (with links, pics, etc...) WITHOUT indicating where the content is taken and giving authors a credit. This is a copyright violation. As such, I am removing articles you posted and I will NOT give you site credits for content posted without authors permission. And next time you do it, your profile will be suspended.
Pages: 1 2 Next

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo