en

Shooting | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Hobbies
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 19 '17
I know that firearms are more restricted in other countries, but I noticed that most places have gun clubs. i suppose you have to leave your gun locked up at the club or use rental guns when you go to shoot. It would be interesting to learn about the rules in different countries. Here in Georgia, USA, we are allowed to own guns and keep them at home. 
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 19 '17
here in California ( which seems to be its own country of the USA) we can have handguns and rifles as long as they don't look like military grade weapons. And we can not have any magazines larger than ten rounds.. So if you go to the range for the day you must bring ten ten round clips, not a couple of banana clips, or 30 round straight clips for your semi's.  This state seems to think the guns do something wrong, not the gun owner.

Oh, and all of what I said above is null and void if you are a "peace officer" of the government. They can and do have military grade weapons (even the school police), but not us regular people.

You even have to show ID and fill out a government form as if you are buying a new weapon just to buy new bullets in this State as of 1/1/2017. We are getting to be as bad as Chicago, where only the criminals will have guns and use them against an unarmed citizenry. Or the military/police will use them against an unarmed citizenry. Not much of a choice if you ask me.

spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Mar 19 '17
In Australia you cannot own a gun without good reason and must have a permit and keep them securely locked up when not in use.  Good reason being you live in a country area where roo's eat your crops and dingoes or foxes kill your stock.

You can't even carry a knife in your pocket or bag unless you're a fisherman (with a fishing permit) and carrying your fishing gear which will obviously include a gutting knife.

It works for us.

Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 20 '17
Wow. That sounds crazy for a place like Australia. 

In Georgia, there are instant background checks to weed out the bad guys from buying a gun. If you are a law abiding citizen you can apply for and recieve a weapons carry permit. I did and now I can carry concealed. Also, if I buy a gun I just show my permit and don't have to go through the background check. 

Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 20 '17
There is a gun store and firing range about eight miles from my house. It costs $15 per hour to shoot. I became a member of the gun club and for $28 per month I get unlimited range time and a discount on ammo. I enjoy going to the range. 
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 20 '17
Truth

The Forum post is edited by billyHill Mar 20 '17
Attachments:
  FB_IMG_1489968242823.jpg (25Kb)
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 20 '17
Hey Wrangler, I edited your post so the pic shows without clicking on it. If you push the button that looks like a camera in the post then it will do the same for you, too

Congrats on the CCW. Here in LA County there are 3 CCW permits after the Superior (or Supreme) court decided there was a valid need for them almost ten years ago.

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 20 '17
for $30 a month that sounds like a deal and a half, provided you can get there for at least 2 hours a month. The discounted ammo adds into the savings as well. Is it an indoor or outdoor range? We have both around here, but the indoor ranges are so God awful noisy ( i wonder why) they are hard to be in, even with ear protection on.

The outdoor ranges tend to be more populated and more difficult to get to.... bring a lunch and porta-potties for bathrooms, but a day well spent especially if a day of target practice does your spirits good

Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 20 '17
Indoor range. 12 lanes. Maximum distance is 73 feet.  Since I'm a member, I go to the head of the line if there's a waiting list. Sometimes I don't have time to go every week but I went three times last week. 
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 20 '17
wow, have you had your hearing checked and do you use ear muffs for protection while in there?  I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea to at least get it checked, you don't need to buy a hearing aid unless you want them. They are expensive things ( I paid close to $2500 for one almost 20 years ago). These days they are much better and a bit more pricey.

I much prefer the little Styrofoam roll ups you put in your ears, especially if using a rifle. The ear muffs tend to hit the stock on me. But I do have a pair of ear muffs that are electronic and can amplify if you are out hunting. they deaden and cancel noise if it is loud..... i think over 80 decibels, and within microseconds of the noise....
 and I can even plug my MP3 player into them if I want to listen to tunes while they are on. the jack for the MP3 player was an extra $10 on the ear muffs, but I thought it was a good idea at the time. After using them for a half hour or so I was reminded how badly they make my ears sweat while they are on, so really a waste of money on the MP3 player jack.

i'd imagine the other benefit to an indoor range is that you can use FMJ ammo if you choose to. With the outdoor ranges here a FMJ casing is a real no-no because it can spark a fire and we already have enough fires here in CA in the summer time.
The Forum post is edited by billyHill Mar 20 '17
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 20 '17
I use shooting ear muffs.  They do well for most handguns. A guy next to me was shooting a 460 revolver last week and that was a little rough. 
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 21 '17
those revolvers tend to make a lot of noise, don't they? ( the big ones anyhow). They got a lot of kick in them, too. I tend to like the semi's for ranges, seems they have less kick and are lighter... could just be my imagination though ( I got a good imagination)
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 21 '17
I agree. The semi automatics lose some of the recoil because of the breech sliding back to eject the shell. I mix it up and take them all in turn. I don't take the 44 mag as much as the 357. I take the 22 auto most of all because there's no recoil and the ammo is cheap. I take rifles too. My range will let you shoot anything up to and including a 300 win mag. 
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 21 '17
Nobody from other countries, except Spectrum, has commented. I thought there would be more response. 
friendsfornow
friendsfornow Mar 21 '17
Hi, in South Africa you allowed  to carry guns. But you have to apply for a licence ,wait while they approve you or it and then go for "training". You have to go to a shooting ranch, for a certain time or hours , practise and even write an exam. Then only will you get your licence and gun.

Also, you need a safe to lock it in when at home.

Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 21 '17
Well, at least you can carry a gun. I have shot guns my whole life and my dad gave me my first one for Christmas when I was 16. 
Wrangler1954
Wrangler1954 Mar 25 '17

IDPA

Billy, this is a link to the International Defence Pistol Association. They probably have matches at a Gun Club near you. They have it here and I'm going to start participating. 

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 27 '17
thanks amigo. I'll check it out. 

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo