en

sitting during the National Anthem | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Serious discussions
robn
robn Aug 30 '16

A way go protest or a uneducated person

If he wants to get involved I understand his views but go help the victim's march with the ppl donate money to the families but do not sit down to our anthem races of all color died for that flag so we can have freedom to live free

Kimo
Kimo Aug 30 '16
Maybe he ain't no nationalist?

Everything on earth is borrowed... There is no MINE or YOURS... There is only OURS.... Even time is borrowed.... We kill over a plot of land that belongs only to Mother Earth.... And all you have is what you came with... And what you will leave with... Your Spirit. (INDIAN WISDOM)

robn
robn Sep 1 '16
Nationalist I respect your opinion and his right to choose what he wants to do but can he do that in China or maybe Iran take a stand against the government and system not the flag and anthem
robn
robn Sep 1 '16
And as for the native Americans that's unspeakable what happen to them their land wasn't found it was stolen from them
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Sep 2 '16
Good to see you around here again, Wind. Been wondering about you.

America gives us the right to protest, provided it is a peaceful protest. This professional athlete is being peaceful, but in my opinion he is so wrong it isn't funny.

The National Anthem is about our flag, what it stands for, and the people who died defending it. If this idiot thinks he does not owe America the small fractional sized debt of standing to pay respect to the flag while the anthem plays,he needs to find a place to live that he can be proud of, period. Then go live there.

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Sep 2 '16
I found a link to an article about the National Anthem, aka "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Smithsonian
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-story-behind-the-star-spangled-banner-149220970/?no-ist

"The Star-Spangled Banner is a symbol of American history that ranks with the Statue of Liberty and the Charters of Freedom," says Brent D. Glass, the museum's director. "The fact that it has been entrusted to the National Museum of American History is an honor."

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/...ed-banner-149220970/
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! https://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

tchesney
tchesney Sep 17 '16
To stand or not to stand... is a matter of personal choice. Right or wrong... it is their God given right, as a matter of freedom of speech or expression. It is the right to make such a choice ALL men and women in the military swore a blood oath to defend.

With that said... as a veteran of the military... I will be boycotting every sporting event (live or broadcast) AND the sponsors in which ANY team member shows disrespect towards the flag and the Constitution as well as a lack of gratitude towards our fallen brothers and sisters... that is MY God given right as a matter of freedom of speech and expression!!

To those who spout about how "black lives matter" ...the brave men and women who gave their lives to defend Old Glory, the Constitution and our way of life, did so without regard for race, creed, color or even ethnic origin. ALL LIVES MATTER!! 

billyHill Moderator
billyHill Sep 18 '16
Ted Nugent is one of my top rock and rollers, as well as personal figures to look up. He had a post on a social media website yesterday that said a lot without saying much at all regarding this particular issue. I can't quote it because of the family friendly guidelines of this site   but I'm sure anyone interested could do a search with your favorite search engine to find it by date.
robn
robn Sep 21 '16
I like his music some of the stuff he  says I think get mixed up but he has the freedom of speech to say it
robn
robn Sep 21 '16

Quote from tchesney To stand or not to stand... is a matter of personal choice. Right or wrong... it is their God given right, as a matter of freedom of speech or expression. It is the right to make such a choice ALL men and women in the military swore a blood oath to defend.

With that said... as a veteran of the military... I will be boycotting every sporting event (live or broadcast) AND the sponsors in which ANY team member shows disrespect towards the flag and the Constitution as well as a lack of gratitude towards our fallen brothers and sisters... that is MY God given right as a matter of freedom of speech and expression!!

To those who spout about how "black lives matter" ...the brave men and women who gave their lives to defend Old Glory, the Constitution and our way of life, did so without regard for race, creed, color or even ethnic origin. ALL LIVES MATTER!! 

As a son of a vet I don't disrespect our flag or anthem I understand their point of protest but I think it should be shown another way I dorealize without the services of our vets we wouldn't have the freedom of speech I don't blame you for your boycott of sports as I am close to turning it off myself its out of control and people fail to realize this is the greatest country in the world if some ppl  think its not gladly move to Syria 
Quarnicus
Quarnicus Sep 22 '16
No refuge could save the hireling and slave

It's in the fourth verse or so..this is what the big hoopla is all about ...lol

Quarnicus
Quarnicus Sep 22 '16
It's the law of the land 36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—(1)when the flag is displayed—(A)individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;(B)members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and(C)all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and(2)when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

The Forum post is edited by Quarnicus Sep 22 '16
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Sep 23 '16
Media likes trouble. It = ratings to them. That is why you never see a story about the high school or college age kid that helps out the elderly in their community. At least this is always the case with the main stream media. There are specialty shows that do nothing but "good news", but their audience is very limited.
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Sep 23 '16
I was about to say a lot about your post, Q. But decided to do some research on it before I opened my flap trap. And now I'm glad I did the research.

"should and may"are used in the law. Therefore it is nothing more than a suggestion. The background on the law is simply so that there are uniform measures on how the flag and other patriotic symbols are used and respected.

It is also worth noting that there are no penalties for violating Sub Section 301. That makes it completely unenforceable.

It doesn't mean this ( now THESE) idiots are right. It just means that they have the right to do whatever they want, provided it is peaceful.
Quarnicus
Quarnicus Sep 23 '16
Lol... yes it is a suggestion, there are no civil or criminal penalties for not doing it..

I could go into many reasons about the media and it's actions lol... I don't think there is enough space on this server for that rant...

I'm not always right , but I'm rarely wrong... it sux being perfect

Gringo
Gringo Nov 25 '16
 I see no problem with wanting to protest something you consider wrong, however, if you are blessed enough to live in the US where you are able to publicly protest in public, whether on TV, in publications, etc, I feel it is totally wrong to protest in a way that disrespects the flag of the US. I think too many people nowadays in the US take for granted what they have, have never had to see or experience what other people have done to protect the way of life in the US. Disrespecting the flag publicly by a person who has had a gifted sheltered life in my opinion is demonstrating a serious character flaw and lack of appreciation of how good he has it in America. I have NO RESPECT AT ALL FOR COLIN, I consider him (Edited by Moderator- bad words)!!
The Forum post is edited by billyHill Nov 25 '16
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Nov 25 '16
Gringo, while we all have personal opinions, personal attacks are not allowed on this board. I've edited your post so it is not offensive and a personal attack to some people.

Please see this topic ( Forum Rules) https://datingnmore.com/site/forum/topic/92 and specifically rule #2 which says
"2) All people are entitled to their personal opinions, an opinion is only an opinion and not always a personal attack. However, name calling is a personal attack, which will not be tolerated."

In the future please avoid name calling that can or will be considered a personal attack.
Kimo
Kimo Jan 26 '17
Bah they are more funny things actually 2-3 years ago at belgian national day belgian tv asked prime minister and some ministers to sing the belgian anthem the prime sang the french one thinking it was the belgian one - one minister of 10 they asked knew the anthem - that is actually more funny.... and very real.....
The Forum post is edited by Kimo Jan 26 '17
Kimo
Kimo Jan 26 '17

Quote from wind090

What's a national anthem?! It's exactly the value you put in it. I was born in a country that did forbid to sing the text on ist own national anthem (because of the part "ermany united fatherland") and now I do live in a country that uses only the 3rd verse of the poem that originally is used as its national anthem (because verses 1 and 2 are seen as too nationalistic or do put in question our by now borders   ">

Nico sang it at every show since early 70s even at shows in germany

Nico Das Lied der Deutschen

https://vimeo.com/30117351

Kimo
Kimo Jan 26 '17
In france in schools the only thing they teach is history of french revolution about hymn and flag the flag beeing red for the blood of the revolution - white color of the ex kings and blue the skies and seas... the lyrics are funny too....

Arise, children of the Fatherland,

The day of glory has arrived!

Against us tyranny

Raises its bloody banner

Do you hear, in the countryside,

The roar of those ferocious soldiers?

They're coming right into your arms

To cut the throats of your sons and women!

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let's march, let's march

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows! 

What does this horde of slaves,

Of traitors and conjured kings want?

For whom are these vile chains,

These long-prepared irons?

Frenchmen, for us, ah!

What outrage!

What fury must it arouse!

It is us they dare plan

To return to the old slavery! 

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let's march, let's march!

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows! 

What! Foreign cohorts

Would make the law in our homes!

What! These mercenary phalanxes

Would strike down our proud warriors!

Great God! By chained hands

Our brows would yield under the yoke

Vile despots would have themselves

The masters of our destinies! 

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows!

Tremble, tyrants and you traitor

The shame of all parties,

Tremble! Your parricidal schemes

Will finally receive their reward!

Everyone is a soldier to fight you

If they fall, our young heroes,

The earth will produce new ones,

Ready to fight against you! 

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows! 

Frenchmen, as magnanimous warriors,

Bear or hold back your blows!

You spare those sorry victims,

Who arm against us with regret.

But not these bloodthirsty despots,

These accomplices of Bouillé,

All these tigers who, mercilessly,

Rip their mother's breast!

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows! 

Sacred love of the Fatherland,

Lead, support our avenging arms

Liberty, cherished Liberty,

Fight with your defenders!

Under our flags, shall victory

Hurry to thy manly accents,

That your expiring enemies,

See your triumph and our glory! 

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows!

We shall enter the (military) career

When our elders are no longer there,

There we shall find their dust

And the trace of their virtues

Much less keen to survive them

Than to share their coffins,

We shall have the sublime pride

Of avenging or following them

Children, let Honour and

Fatherland be the object of all our wishes!

Let us always have souls nourished

With fires that might inspire both

Let us be united! 

Anything is possible;

Our vile enemies will fall,

Then the French will ceaseTo sing this fierce refrain: 

To arms, citizens,

Form your battalions,

Let the impure blood

Water our furrows!

French hymn is still forbidden to be played in far left or far right dictatorships - during a qualification football worldcup match in chile pinochet refused the french hymn to be played before the game and chile was banned a few years from world cups afterwards.....

Pages: 1 2 Next

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo