en

This Forum | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
aldi
aldi Aug 6 '15
I was looking through the Forum generally and got the impression that people have become less active in here. Going back a few years (too many to remember), there seemed to be much more participation in the different subjects and it was a great place to make friends,(and sadly , sometimes an enemy.....hee hee). What do you think....?
Marisa Admin
Marisa Aug 6 '15
yes, forums are basically dead now. Most members who participated in the past have left and those few who are still here + new members are not interested in posting on the dead forums. 
kellyroux
kellyroux Aug 6 '15
I, too, remember when the forums where great. I had alot of fun on them. Aldi, I remember you making a few enemies...... I only log in a few times a year, now. Is there still a chat room?
The Forum post is edited by kellyroux Aug 6 '15
Marisa Admin
Marisa Aug 6 '15
yes, the public chat is on your dashboard, but not much is happening there as well, random people are just saying Hi. All activity is now concentrated via private chat.
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Aug 7 '15
You're right, forum activity is almost non existent.  I have started new threads and only one or two people will respond.  It's disheartening knowing the fun we used to have here.  Even the games have grown quiet.  Oh well, as membership continues to change perhaps activity will also change again.  
Marisa Admin
Marisa Aug 7 '15
The reason why the forums were active in the past was because we used to have a rule: people couldn't send PMs until they posted in forums, remember that rule? That's why a lot of people were leaving at least one message on forums, just to be able to PM. That created an activity on forums and others, who were not particularly interested in PMing, also became gladly involved. Forums were really blooming. Then we removed that rule, and for some time the forums were still rolling by inertion and due to past glory and old-timers. But slowly started declining couple years ago.

While the rule did the trick and made forums unusually busy on a relatively small site, I was getting sooo many rants and nasty messages, like "stupid site", "stupid rules", "why do you force members to post on forums", etc... That was tough, tbh. 

We do have a credit system here (inactive now), meaning that members must do something active (like post in forums, post video, participate in groups, etc... in order to earn credits and unlock features like PM, gifts, who viewed my profile, etc..) I am not planning to activate it, as I just cannot to go through all that abuse and nasty messages again. Sorry!!! 

The Forum post is edited by Marisa Aug 7 '15
Quarnicus
Quarnicus Aug 10 '15

with friends like me who needs enemas...

its not just here really, I have noticed this "problem" over the years in many other places...

even in games that have real good mail and chat systems.. everyone wants to know if you have teamspeak or raidcall .

no I don't wanna listen to you munching Cheetos and listen to your mom yelling at you to take out the trash..

another thing I get a lot is the TLDR.... too long didn't read.....

maybe you don't read very well and a whole paragraph is a hassle...

its called practice makes perfect.. a problem with the millennials...

I blame the smartphone fad, and a lazy education system that don't allow failure.

aldi
aldi Aug 12 '15
Ive just finished reading a post from Soulweaver ( probably an extremely pleasant person ) where he informs us that he will post some pictures, (before and after) of some shelving that he will install.............I mean, that is some really mind blowing stuff huh........ it reaslly is no wonder that the Forum is a bit slow....hee hee........................best regards to all !
Quarnicus
Quarnicus Aug 14 '15

that's what i'm talkin abou.. shelving.  totally mind blowing he stuff you can put on shelves.. cans, jars, boxes of generic stuff....

yah I know some say "you see one shelf you see them all".. but really now.

are all shelves that much alike. are we to resort to also demarginalize the defenseless shelf..

we should all change our twitter icons to wood.. or some other suitable shelving material

remember #AllShelvesMatter

Thomas
Thomas Aug 14 '15
I like posting on forums myself.
Mehitabel
Mehitabel Nov 21 '15
I have noticed how slow these forums are and am considering not coming back for that reason.  Too bad.

And not all forums are slow.  I am very active on another forum and have been for about 3 years.  But we all have diabetes in common and we are all very much a "family".  Maybe that is the problem here.  There is not enough in common among the members to keep it going.

DUribe
DUribe Dec 27 '15
Those were great times, there were a lot of nice members writing here, it was a lot of fun, and also a lot of drama sometimes.... I still keep in touch with some but many of those nice members dissapeared, and it could be not just the rules of the website but life itself with responsabilities and  circumstances that sometimes keep us moving and changing, our preferences change too, but mostly i think its our lives that cant be the same always.  Anyway its nice to keep the memories of those great times and hope for better ones for the site.

greetings

onceaknight
onceaknight Dec 28 '15
Heya DUribe, I remember the good ol days... but that was cos I was lucky enough to arrive at a busy time, or was it really a lucky time?... all those people looking for... no wait, Yes it was a lucky time because the Forums were very chatty, and I think the 'chat' had just started, so much happening comings and goings, the tides will always ebb and flow but I do remember a lovely family of people here From 'the boss' through Nona, Louise, and Billy, Shannon, and the very special Yoko, long with so many more that this aged mind can recall, and Yes!, I remember you too.

A fun time, and a busy time, but like a marriage keeping it all together takes work... not just from Marisa and the rest of the team, but from everybody that jumps in and splashes around, but people get tired and/or distracted, and if I don't stop here I will never get this reply posted (Yoko was too ladylike to fall asleep, but Shannon would often sit on the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz key) as my typing is two fingered... one at a time though!

DUribe
DUribe Dec 28 '15
hey there, onceaknight, i remember you as well.... 
Marisa Admin
Marisa Dec 28 '15
Lets face it, while the forum was busy and chatty, there were the same people over and over again, for YEARS. The same participants, the same faces. We never had thousands (or even hundreds) of different members and newbies posting, like on Plentyoffish or Connectingsingles. There was always a small group of 30-40 people with a huge postcount sitting in forums year after year.

But we cannot expect the same 30 people to drag forums forward forever, they get tired, they need to move on with their lives... So, these people are gone - and forums are dead. Very simple! 

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo