en

Should Teenagers Have Access to Condoms and Birth Control? | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Serious discussions
Jstnona
Jstnona Apr 7 '15
  Should teens have access to birth control or does it promote promiscuity?
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 7 '15
I don't think it does, Nona. To me those that will have relations are going to have it regardless of the consequences. I think that the teachings need to start at home, and learn that things like AIDS, other STD's ( not to mention unwanted children) can be prevented with the use of condoms.

I forgot to add about "should they be available..."  I think so.  And I also agree with the fact that if it is a girl, then the dr / patient relationship is confidential. However, I think the limit of that confidentiality needs to stop at those visits and related information.

A real life example is that when my step daughter was sick, I took her to her doctor. The doctor told me I could not sit in on the exam due to the confidentiality. Even when I complained, and offered to have her sign a statement that said I was able to be there to have input on the discussions, the doctor refused. If it had not been a pressing issue I would have made a big deal about it and left, but it was what it was.

as an adult that has been through a lot of stuff, I think I know the questions to ask, if I don't like the doc's advice, then ask for clarification, or a different treatment option, and a ton of other good, valid reasons to be in the room with them. If there happened to be "Girlie stuff discussions" for whatever reason, I'd be happy to leave for them. But some adult supervision is required as far as I am concerned.

When she came out of the doc's office I asked what happened, and she told me "not much", and then the doc's treatment plan. When I asked about details of the treatment plan she shrugged her shoulders and went "I dunno". Whether she was keeping secrets or really had no idea I can't say, though I choose to believe the latter. 

The ones that scare me are the ones that are real young and think that having a baby will solve all of their problems in life. We have created a sub culture of thinking like that in the US, and that is what needs to stop.
The Forum post is edited by billyHill Apr 7 '15
wind090
wind090 Apr 7 '15

Of course they should have access, but please to education, too! I don't know if in our society promiscuity can be promoted anymore by such things, but health surely will. This little "rubber thing" saves lifes and health and should always be available. 

Don't know if the other things like those pills for birth control and so on do make sense in that context. If it is indended for birth control only and still bears some risks it is maybe not the best choice for all teenagers. (Even if for some of them it might work.) I personally know 5 women who got pregnant in spite of using birth control pills. Most of them were teenagers still and doctors claimed it might have happened because of that. I guess with one or two it was because of cross medications or because of alcohol...   

The Forum post is edited by wind090 Apr 7 '15
spectrumAU Moderator
spectrumAU Apr 7 '15

Education is great but wont stop those who can't or don't want to control themselves.

Prevention is far better than the possible consequences to both the individuals and society.
coloradosweetheart
coloradosweetheart Apr 7 '15

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Birth control promotes promiscuity like:

- Legal alcohol promotes drunkenness (not everyone gets drunk),

- Legal cigarettes promote smoking (not everyone smokes),

- Legal marijuana promotes getting high (not everyone tokes),

- Legal arms promote murder (not every gun owner goes out and shoots people...on this, I agree...but not much else),

- Car manufacturers promote speeding/accidents (not every driver speeds or gets in accidents),

and so on.

IMO, use of a condom outside of a committed relationship should be a civic duty, not only toward one's self and the other party, but to everyone in both parties' future. 

The Forum post is edited by coloradosweetheart Apr 7 '15
Jstnona
Jstnona Apr 9 '15
I am rather ambivelent regarding this.  I feel if I had started my daughter on birth control pills, in her teen years, it would have been telling her that it was all right to have sexual relations before marriage.   BUT, I agree about having a child or contracting a disease would be disastrous.   I agree that education should be a mandantory requisite.   Perhaps, if the teenager can not approach her parent and ask,  that the ability for teenagers to be able to obtain birth control advice and pills/injections ...without the permission of parents, would be the solution.  But, then what age should this be allowed?
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 9 '15
It all ready is allowed here in CA, Nona (I'm pretty sure it is like that in almost if not all states, too). If I recall it was @ age 13. That was the entire reason for the doctor telling me to get out of her exam room. They are considered medically speaking "Adults" with no need for parental consent at that age, yet are not really legal "Adults" until age 18 or 21, depending on what the "Adult" activity is.

It is a hard boat to be in. Now that the girl is 18, I can now accompany her to Dr's visits and the doc will look at her and say "Do you want him here?" After she says yes, they have to let me stay.

as far as I am concerned, it is complete BS. The doctor made the decision during years 13 to 18, but now she can.... wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!  Glad I have a trustworthy young girl.
wind090
wind090 Apr 12 '15
Don't think so. I guess It's enough if the schools educate the people to use these things and how to use them.  
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Apr 12 '15
its one thing for the "nurse" office to keep a stash of condoms / spermicide on hand, in either a bowl for free hand outs or a "ask and ye shall receive" method. But since to the best of my knowledge any female contraception requires a real MD, I don't think the schools should be burdened with the hiring of a Dr to perform contraceptive screenings and nothing else.

That would open up a can of worms where "All of the men" are discriminated against" because of their much more simplistic reproductive systems.... what a mess that would be. Don't want to go there.

Then if that doctor did do other things, it would turn into a mess of turmoil for both the school, and Doctor. Don't want to go there, either.
Kimo
Kimo Dec 14 '15
Well here they are free in every school since many years and sexual freedom is at 16 tho no parents might know as it's private if yer 16 without parents consent - here every school has social assistents and an infirmary it's anonimous.... 

Welcome

Please support our site, share on Facebook with your friends and invite them to join

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo