en

Students Want Police Boss Removed Over Harrassment | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Scam
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 22 '15
Sort of along the lines of the camera / LEO thread in another forum. My question is this, in a country where the average salary is $1 per week, why is it considered harassment when college students can afford to be walking around with laptops??  Isn't that a clue all by itself that something is wrong??

Students Want Police Boss Removed Over Harrassment

Original article located here : https://leadership.ng/...ved-over-harrassment

| 0 Comments

Students of Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma in Edo State have called on the federal government and the Inspector-General of Police, Suleiman Abba, to immediately investigate and sack the divisional police officer (DPO), Mr Shuaibu Audu, attached to Esan West local government area of the state.

The call was made during the week by students of the university who made corruption allegations against the DPO over illegal arrest, harassment of students and extortion of money by policemen under his supervision. The complaint of the students is that they cannot walk freely on the road with their laptops and phones without policemen harassing them to be internet fraudsters.

Investigation revealed that when caught with laptops and browsing phones by policemen in Ekpoma, the policemen will first go through the conversation history of the student the yahoo mail and Facebook, then print all the conversations as evidence against the individual.

then threatens to charge him to court for internet scam; from that point, they have to start bargaining for their freedom.

A student and motorcycle rider, Mark Odion who spoke with LEADERSHIP Weekend said, “the way and manner policemen harass and arrest students in this town, the IG of Police needs to come to our rescue. The police station here has become a business centre where giving and taking of bribe has become the order of the day.”
Odion further stated that students around the town hardly walk freely around the road carrying bags that either contain their school items like laptops, ipads, books or phones without a policeman arresting that person and accusing him of internet frauds. He said sometimes, these policemen would force them to login into their Facebook, claiming to be on investigative mission.

Another student, a Public Administration student, Rose Okere said, “the way these policemen operate around students’ hostels that are living off campus is too bad and is really causing them fear. Sometimes they carry out their operations at the middle of the night when students are either sleeping or studying for their examinations, somehow you would think if it’s robbers operating.”

Rose added that, “whether or not the student is a yahoo or internet fraudster, the fundamental human right should not be abused for any reason by the policemen. The little money given to them by their parents for their upkeep is not enough for them, let alone giving to a policeman who is been paid by the government.”

The Forum post is edited by billyHill Mar 22 '15
Jstnona
Jstnona Mar 23 '15
Is Nigeria is totally corrupt....police benefitting from the scammers and non-scammers, collecting bribery money.  I am sure there have to be some decent people there.  Other than the scum we hear about.
The Forum post is edited by Jstnona Mar 23 '15
Jstnona
Jstnona Mar 23 '15
I need to add "Is" to my first sentence, SnowDrop.  I have read several articles, written by Nigerian professionals, that hate the Nigerian scammers as much as we do.  But, when even goverment employees are benefiting from the scammers......you wonder.
billyHill Moderator
billyHill Mar 23 '15
Yes, Nona. Most of Nigeria is totally corrupt. Do a google search on "EFCC" in the news section of Google's search engine and see how they are cracking on politicians right now just before elections.

Not to mention the ones that are in office have a law that protects them against being charged with crimes, so it is effectively like having a "get out of jail" for the length of your term free pass....

You know what they say $hit runs down hill....

To be fair, there are some hardworking honest people there, however it is a much smaller portion than the scammers / criminals.
Jstnona
Jstnona Mar 23 '15

Quote from billyHill Yes, Nona. Most of Nigeria is totally corrupt. Do a google search on "EFCC" in the news section of Google's search engine and see how they are cracking on politicians right now just before elections.

Not to mention the ones that are in office have a law that protects them against being charged with crimes, so it is effectively like having a "get out of jail" for the length of your term free pass....

You know what they say $hit runs down hill....

To be fair, there are some hardworking honest people there, however it is a much smaller portion than the scammers / criminals.
They cannot be charged with crimes....that is totally unreal !!!
AmeliaCastillo
AmeliaCastillo Mar 24 '15
In my country (where most of the law is patterned after the U.S.) the President down to the legislators have immunity from lawsuits. If you want them to be punished, they have to be impeached first and removed from their position before you could file charges. It is not an easy task to run after these corrupt officials because of this cloak of immunity and being in power, they have all the access and resources to evade their crimes. Our only recourse is to leave everything to God, and indeed when these corrupt officials have their day in court they are also plagued with severe illnesses coming out of the courtroom on wheelchair.
Jstnona
Jstnona Mar 24 '15
Thank you, Amelia.  I had to reread Billy's post to realize it said "in office".  My mind was still on the police matter.   No different than in our countries.  Impeachments are few and far between, despite the need.

Willi
Willi Jan 20 '18
Yes, it is rampant corruption, which keeps scammers active. I am aware of this problem for overa decade now, and it became worse over time. This is aggravated by the very poor salaries of members of the police force, so that taking bribes is almost a necessity to make ends meet. Worst of all, this problem not only exists in Nigeria but Ghana, Benin and other African countries too. Another hotbed for scammers is Boko Haram, who scam to generate income for radical Islamist causes. 

Regardless of the reasoning of scammers and their excuses to make their behavior appear justified, it is all about getting rich quick and with the minimum of effort. This is nothing new, because it existed in that region for hundreds of years already.

Advertisiment

Password protected photo
Password protected photo
Password protected photo